What Is Zoom Phone?
- Zoom Phone is a cloud-based phone system that offers voice-over IP (VoIP) services for businesses of all sizes. It is part of the Zoom platform, which also includes video conferencing, chat, and webinars. With Zoom Phone, you can make and receive calls, send and receive SMS messages, check your voicemail, and manage your contacts from any device. You can also integrate Zoom Phone with other apps like Salesforce, Microsoft Teams, and Google Workspace. Zoom Phone provides reliable, secure, and scalable communications for your organization.
- Affordable monthly and annual plans
- Easy to purchase with quick setup
- Can switch from phone call to video meeting
- Integrates well with Google and Microsoft
- The standard plan includes call center features for no added cost
- Need to upgrade for outbound calling
- Tiered customer support that requires upgrades to talk to a person
Zoom Phone standard service includes:
A U.S. or Canada-based number
Extension to extension inbound and outbound calling
HD call quality
Domestic SMS and MMS
Voice mail with transcription
Unlimited auto attendants/interactive voice response (IVR)
Utilize call whisper, monitor, barge, or takeover
Apps for desktop and mobile devices
You must upgrade from the US & Canada Metered plan to the US & Canada Unlimited plan to make non-metered domestic calls. Zoom Phone’s Unlimited plan also allows for international calling, but only as an add-on; you must choose the Global Select subscription to get limitless local calling in a country outside the U.S. and Canada. Zoom Phone’s pricing and features are why we recommend it as one of the Best VoIP Services.
How Zoom Phone Works?
Zoom Phone works by using the internet to make and receive voice calls, as well as send and receive SMS messages. It is a cloud-based phone system that integrates with the Zoom platform, which also offers video conferencing, chat, and webinars. Zoom Phone provides several features and benefits for businesses, such as:
- Reliability: Zoom Phone uses high-quality voice codecs and encryption to ensure clear and secure voice communications. It also has a global network of data centers and carriers to provide reliable service across regions.
- Scalability: Zoom Phone can easily scale up or down to meet the changing needs of your organization. You can add or remove users, phone numbers, and devices as needed. You can also manage multiple sites and locations from a single admin portal.
- Flexibility: Zoom Phone lets you use any device to make and receive calls, including desktops, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, and desk phones. You can also switch between devices during a call or transfer a call to another user or device. You can also switch from a voice call to a video meeting with one click.
- Integration: Zoom Phone integrates with other apps and services that you use for your business, such as Salesforce, Microsoft Teams, Google Workspace, and more. You can access your contacts, calendars, and CRM data from within the Zoom app. You can also use Zoom Phone APIs and webhooks to customize your workflows and automate tasks.
- Cost-effectiveness: Zoom Phone offers affordable and transparent pricing plans that include unlimited calls, SMS, toll-free numbers, and auto attendants. You can also save on hardware costs by using your existing devices or choosing from a range of certified desk phones.
Zoom Phone Features
Zoom Phone is a cloud-based phone system that offers voice-over IP (VoIP) services for businesses of all sizes. It is part of the Zoom platform, which also includes video conferencing, chat, and webinars. With Zoom Phone, you can make and receive calls, send and receive SMS messages, check your voicemail, and manage your contacts from any device. You can also integrate Zoom Phone with other apps like Salesforce, Microsoft Teams, and Google Workspace. Zoom Phone provides reliable, secure, and scalable communications for your organization.
Some of the features of Zoom Phone are:
- Zoom Mobile and Desktop App: A single, unified platform for Meetings, Phone, and Team Chat on Windows, Apple MacOS, Apple iOS, and Google Android devices.
- Desk Phone Support: Compatibility with a variety of desk phones from leading manufacturers.
- Call Transfer: Supervised and blind transfer capabilities ensure you can easily route calls to the right person anytime, anywhere.
- Call Forwarding: Manage personal call handling rules to redirect calls to internal users and external phone numbers.
- Voicemail: Voicemail transcription and notification allow you to easily manage voice messages from any device.
- Call Recording: On-demand and full-time recording, and transcriptions, and allow you to easily archive and retrieve phone conversations.
- Salesforce Integration: Native Salesforce.com integration improves productivity with click-to-dial, screen pops, and automated call activity logging.
- Call Blocking: End users can manage personal call denylists to automatically block unwanted calls.
- Call Delegation: Assign administrative assistants the privilege to make and receive calls on behalf of executives.
- Call Hold: Easily place and retrieve calls on hold from Zoom apps and supported desk phones.
- Elevate to Meeting: Seamlessly elevate a phone call to a full-feature Zoom Meeting without requiring participants to manually join.
- Listen (Monitor): Allows a user to silently monitor a call, such as an assistant taking notes for an executive.
- Whisper: Allows a user to speak privately to the person they are silently monitoring.
- Barge: A supervisor who is monitoring can enter the call, and the 3 parties can continue the conversation.
- Takeover: A supervisor who is monitoring can enter the call and take over the conversation.
- Call Park: Place a call in the park and retrieve it from another Zoom Phone endpoint.
- Presence: See when a contact is available before calling or transferring a call to them.
- Shared Line: A delegate can place a call on hold for a manager to visually recognize and retrieve.
- Shared Line Groups: Provide member endpoints with access to the group’s direct phone number and voicemail.
- Business Application Integration: Natively integrates a variety of business applications to enhance your employee and customer engagement experiences.
- Slack Integration: Make calls directly from the Slack user interface.
- Zoom Phone Administration: Provision, manage, and monitor your cloud phone system from anywhere through Zoom’s powerful administrator portal.
- Calling Plans: Mix and match unlimited and metered calling plans as needed
- Bring Your Carrier: Power the Zoom Phone cloud PBX service by redirecting existing voice circuits/trunks to the Zoom Phone cloud.
- Phone Number Porting: Procure new and/or migrate phone numbers from your existing service provider.
- Call center features: Zoom Phone includes call center features that help you manage inbound and outbound calls more effectively. You can use call queues, call routing, call monitoring, call recording, and analytics to optimize your customer service and sales performance. You can also integrate Zoom Phone with third-party contact center solutions like Five9, Genesys, NICE inContact, and Talkdesk
Zoom Phone Pricing and Plans
Zoom Phone offers three pricing plans for different needs and budgets:
- US & Canada Metered: This plan costs $10 per month per user if you pay monthly, or $120 per year per user if you pay annually. You get unlimited inbound calls and 100 minutes of outbound calls per month within the US and Canada. You also get access to basic features like voicemail, call forwarding, call recording, and call blocking.
- US & Canada Unlimited: This plan costs $15 per month per user if you pay monthly, or $180 per year per user if you pay annually. You get unlimited inbound and outbound calls within the US and Canada, as well as toll-free numbers and auto attendants. You also get access to advanced features like call queues, call monitoring, call park, and shared line groups.
- Global Select: This plan costs $20 per month per user if you pay monthly, or $240 per year per user if you pay annually. You get unlimited inbound and outbound calls within 40+ countries, as well as international calling credits and packages. You also get access to all the features of the US & Canada Unlimited plan.
Customer Service and Support
Serious service issues may take significant time to address, depending on your purchased service plan. For example, we needed assistance setting up the license to access inbound and outbound calling; however, because the account was incorrectly in the system as “basic,” there was no way to contact anyone by phone or live chat to correct the issue; we had to wait until an agent reviewed the support ticket.
AI can be very helpful if a person knows the exact nature of their problem and the question they want answered. However, if you do not even qualify for a support ticket, trying to work through a problem without help can be highly demoralizing.
Customer support is excellent when it is accessible. Still, the lack of universal access might work against the brand, especially when competing VoIP providers offer 24/7 support without forcing a service upgrade.
Zoom Phone Alternatives and How They Are Compared
Zoom Phone may not be the best option for every business. Many alternatives and competitors offer similar or better services. Some of the factors that you may want to consider when comparing Zoom Phone with other VoIP providers are:
- Price: How much does the service cost per month per user? What are the additional fees or charges? What are the calling plans and rates for local and international calls?
- Features: What are the features and functionalities that the service offers? How do they compare with Zoom Phone’s features? Do they meet your business needs and expectations?
- Reliability: How reliable and secure is the service? How often does it experience downtime or disruptions? How does it handle emergencies and power outages?
- Scalability: How easy is it to scale up or down the service as your business grows or changes? How flexible is the service in terms of adding or removing users, phone numbers, and devices?
- Integration: How well does the service integrate with other apps and tools that you use for your business, such as CRM, helpdesk, or e-commerce platforms? How easy is it to set up and manage these integrations?
- Support: How responsive and helpful is the customer support team of the service? How do they handle technical issues and complaints? What are the support channels and hours available?
Based on these criteria, we have searched the web for some of the best Zoom Phone alternatives and competitors in 2023. Here are some of the results that we found:
OpenPhone: OpenPhone is a cloud-based phone service that provides unlimited calls to the US and Canada, texting (SMS and MMS), voicemail transcription, call recording, call forwarding, call blocking, call delegation, shared numbers, auto-replies, snippets, custom workflows, integrations with Salesforce, HubSpot, Slack, Gong, Zapier, and more. It costs $13 per month per user for the Standard plan, which includes one free US, Canadian, or toll-free number.
CloudTalk: CloudTalk is a cloud-based call center software that offers inbound and outbound calling, call routing, IVR menu, queue callback, voicemail drop, call recording, call monitoring, call tagging, call disposition codes, real-time dashboard, analytics and reporting, integrations with Salesforce, HubSpot, Zendesk, Shopify, Pipedrive, Zapier, and more. It costs $20 per month per user for the Essential plan.
RingCentral MVP: RingCentral MVP is a cloud-based unified communications platform that provides voice calls, video meetings, team messaging, faxing, online storage, and integrations with Microsoft Teams, Google Workspace, Salesforce, Zendesk, Zoho CRM, Zapier, and more. It costs $19.99 per month per user for the Essentials plan.
Aircall: Aircall is a cloud-based phone system that offers local numbers in 100+ countries, inbound and outbound calling, call routing, IVR menu, queue management, voicemail, call recording, call monitoring, analytics and reporting, integrations with Salesforce, HubSpot, Zendesk, Slack, Intercom, Zapier, and more. It costs $30 per month per user for the Essentials plan.
Zoom Phone vs. Google Voice
Zoom Phone and Google Voice are comparable in pricing but with some key differences. Zoom Phone provides businesses with a toll-free number and the ability to add additional toll-free, local, or international numbers starting at $60 per year. Google Voice lacks toll-free options, instead giving you a new local number by porting it to an existing one.
Another important distinction is in the ability to send and receive outbound calls. Zoom Phone’s basic license only lets you communicate internally with Zoom accounts. You can do this with Google Voice, as even free accounts can receive and send calls and text messages. Zoom does have more integration options for Phones, as Voice is limited to strictly integrating with other Google products.
If your company prefers a wide range of integration features in addition to an all-in-one communication hub, Zoom Phone will be the better choice. However, if you just need an affordable and professional phone number and Google’s apps are enough, Voice could be the better choice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a Zoom Phone?
Zoom Phone is the VoIP service offered by Zoom Video Communications beginning in 2019. Service plans start as low as $10 per month per user.
What is the difference between Zoom and Zoom Phone?
Zoom is typically used to refer to the brand overall, mainly its video conferencing tool, while Zoom Phone is the brand’s VoIP software.
Is Zoom Phone worth it?
If you are a small to medium business in the United States or Canada, Zoom Phone could be worth it as its plans are reasonably priced and pair well with Zoom Meetings. It’s an affordable way to have an all-in-one hub for your company.
How much do Zoom calls cost?
Zoom Phone calls are metered, and the price varies depending on the country.
Does Zoom Phone have an app?
Zoom has a mobile and desktop app; the desktop is compatible with Windows and Apple, and the mobile app works on Android and iOS devices.