As the demand for visual content continues to grow across various industries, more and more companies are hiring remote graphic designers to create visually compelling designs for websites, social media, marketing materials, and more.
In this blog, we’ll explore the world of remote graphic design, discussing the various types of remote graphic design jobs available, the skills required to be a successful remote graphic designer, and where to find remote graphic designer jobs.
What is a graphic designer?
Graphic designing is the process of creating visual designs using typography, images, colors, and other design elements to communicate ideas and messages through various mediums. Graphic designing is used in various fields such as advertising, marketing, web design, print media, and branding.
The process of graphic designing involves several steps, including understanding the client’s needs, researching the target audience, conceptualizing ideas, sketching or creating a layout, selecting appropriate colors and fonts, and producing the final design product.
Graphic designing can include a wide range of visual products such as logos, brochures, business cards, websites, product packaging, book covers, and social media graphics. These designs are created using specialized design software such as Adobe Creative Suite.
What does a graphic designer do?
A graphic designer is responsible for creating designs that are visually appealing, effective in communicating the intended message, and meet the client’s objectives. They must have a strong understanding of design principles, color theory, typography, and technical skills to create visually compelling designs.
- They create visual solutions that meet the needs of clients or businesses, such as creating logos, designing websites, creating marketing materials, and developing visual content for social media.
- They use their creativity, technical skills, and knowledge of design principles to develop compelling and effective visual designs that communicate messages, ideas, and concepts to the target audience.
- They typically work with clients and stakeholders to understand their design needs, gather feedback, and refine their designs accordingly.
What skills are required to be a remote graphic designer?
You need a combination of technical and soft skills to provide high-quality design services and build a successful career as a remote graphic designer. Here are some of the skills required to be a remote graphic designer:
- Proficiency in design software: You should be proficient in design software such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, and Figma. You should be able to use these tools to create and edit design layouts, graphics, and images.
- Knowledge of design principles: You should have a strong understanding of design principles such as layout, typography, color theory, and composition. This knowledge will help you create visually appealing and effective designs.
- Attention to detail: You must have excellent attention to detail to ensure that designs are accurate and meet the client’s specifications.
- Communication skills: As a remote graphic designer, you will communicate with clients and team members through email, chat, video conferencing and, remote communication and collaboration tools. Therefore, you must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Time management skills: You should be able to manage your time effectively to meet project deadlines and deliver high-quality designs.
- Creativity and problem-solving skills: You should be able to think creatively and come up with unique design concepts. You should also be able to solve design-related problems efficiently.
- Collaboration skills: You may work with other designers, developers, or clients. Therefore, you should be able to work collaboratively and provide constructive feedback.
- Knowledge of web design and development: It’s helpful to have some knowledge of web design and development, such as HTML and CSS, to create designs that are optimized for web use.
What are the main responsibilities of graphic designer?
Major responsibilities of graphic designer includes:
- Creating and designing graphics for websites, social media, advertising, and other marketing materials
- Collaborating with clients and stakeholders to understand their design needs and goals
- Developing design concepts, layouts, and prototypes using graphic design software
- Choosing appropriate colors, images, and typography to enhance the design
- Preparing and delivering designs that meet clients’ requirements and deadlines
- Staying up-to-date with new design trends and technologies including visual and digital graphic designs.
What is the salary of a remote graphic designer?
The salary of a remote graphic designer varies based on a number of factors such as experience, location, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual wage for graphic designers in the United States was $52,110 as of May 2020.
According to PayScale, the average salary for a remote graphic designer in the United States is $51k per year. However, this can range from around $33k to $77k per year, depending on the designer’s experience, location, and specific skills.
What are the top companies hiring remote graphic designers?
There are many remote companies that hire graphic designers to work from home. Here are some of the top companies hiring remote graphic designers:
- Robert Half International: Robert Half International is a global staffing agency that provides professional staffing services in accounting, technology, creative and design, and hires remote and freelance graphic designers to create logos, and websites for clients.
- Toptal: Toptal is a talent matching platform that hires remote graphic designers to work with clients on a project basis.
- Automattic: Automattic is the parent company of WordPress and hires remote graphic designers to work on WordPress-related projects.
- Aquent: Aquent is a staffing agency that specializes in placing professionals in creative and design roles. The company provides talent for various of industries, including creative services, content creation, and more.
- Clevertech: Clevertech is a software development company that hires remote graphic designers to work on various design projects.
- GitLab: GitLab is a software development company that hires remote graphic designers to create visual designs for their website and marketing materials.
- Curriculum Associates: Curriculum Associates is an education technology company that provides instructional materials and assessments for K-12 schools. It supports personalized learning, data-driven instruction, and student growth.
- Toggl: Toggl is a time-tracking software company that hires remote graphic designers to work on various design projects.
- Buffer: Buffer is a social media management company that hires remote graphic designers to create visual content for their social media channels.
- Canva: Canva is a graphic design company that hires remote graphic designers and the tool allows users to create a wide range of designs, including social media graphics, presentations, posters, and more.
These are just a few examples of remote companies hiring graphic designers. To find more remote graphic designer job opportunities, you can search work from home job boards, company websites, and online freelancing platforms.
How to find remote graphic design jobs from home?
By following these steps, you can increase your chances of finding a remote graphic designer job that fits your skills and experience.
Research remote job boards
Look for remote job boards that specifically cater to graphic designers, such as DailyRemote, Dribble, and LinkedIn. These job boards feature remote graphic design jobs from companies all over the world, with varying salary ranges, and experience required, for senior as well as junior graphic design positions and part-time and entry level graphic design jobs.
Utilize freelance platforms
There are several freelance platforms, such as Upwork, Fiverr, 99designs, and Freelancer, that connect businesses with freelance graphic designers. You can create a profile and start applying for jobs that match your skills and experience.
Network with other designers
Networking with other designers can help you discover potential job opportunities. Join design communities, remote communities, attend design events, and connect with other designers on social media platforms such as LinkedIn and Twitter to find out about remote as well as part-time graphic design job opportunities.
Attend virtual events, webinars, and conferences related to graphic design to network with other designers and potentially find remote job opportunities.
Create a portfolio
Create a portfolio of your best work, make sure it highlights your skills and design style and showcase it on your website, social media profiles, and freelance platforms to attract potential clients and employers. A strong portfolio along with a resume and cover letter is essential for finding remote graphic designer jobs. You can create a website or use platforms like Behance or Dribbble to display your work.
Also, customize your resume and cover letter to highlight your skills, experience, and achievements that are relevant to remote graphic design jobs. Make sure to mention your remote work experience and skills.
Apply to work from home job postings
Once you find a work from home designer job posting that matches your skills and experience, tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight why you’re a good fit for the remote job. Make sure to follow the application instructions carefully.
Look for companies or organizations that match your design style, interests, and values. Check their websites, social media profiles, and job boards for remote graphic design job openings.
Keep track of the jobs you’ve applied for and follow up with companies if you haven’t heard back after a week or two. It’s also a good idea to set up alerts on job boards to get notified of new job postings that match your search criteria.
Whether you’re an experienced graphic designer looking to transition to remote work or someone interested in pursuing a career in graphic design, follow this tips to find a remote graphic designer job and succeed in work from home jobs interviews.